Author Topic: Summer 2019 - Lori Roy #160  (Read 15048 times)

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Summer 2019 - Lori Roy #160
« on: June 06, 2019, 04:48:03 pm »
In this issue we cover a lot of ground, including Oline Cogdill's interview with Lori Roy about her new book that delves into the topic of white supremacy.

Dennis Lehane gives tips in "A Writer's Toolbox," and SJ Rozan discuss her first Lydia Chin / Bill Smith novel in eight long years. Ben Boulden looks at mysteries set in the circus or carnival and Nancy Bilyeau surveys the Bernie Gunther mysteries from the late Philip Kerr.

Probably the prettiest cover art in the whole issue belongs to the Mignon G. Eberhart appreciation by Michael Mallory. John B. Valeri chats with cozy writer G.A. McKevett and Craig Sisterson gives us a tour of crime fiction from Australia and New Zealand. Susan Van Kirk discusses her latest novel, "A Death at Tippit Pond." Whew!

Plus there's all the varied reviews of novels, short stories, reference works, audiobooks, and more.

What did you think of the issue?

ocogdill

• View Profile
Re: Summer 2019 - Lori Roy #160
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 12:45:43 pm »
Haven't gotten my copy yet but sounds like another stellar issue. Lori Roy was great to speak with. Love dong the profiles for Mystery Scene

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:21:20 pm »
I haven't gotten my issue yet but once I do, I'm sure I'll have something to say. And it's always nice to save the issue since one of my reviews will be in the magazine.

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »
We just got our box of issues a few minutes ago! Looks good!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 12:31:17 pm »
Still haven't gotten my copy of the new issue yet, but when I updated my 'review' on Goodreads for the Charlie-316 book I reviewed for the issue I got a message from one of the co-writers thanking me for reviewing the book and asking for a preview of the review. The other co-writer liked the review (though at that point, there wasn't anything there).

I've now updated that post with the link to the online version of the review which apparently went live today.

EDIT (6/20/19): I'm picking up my copy of the magazine tonight.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:20:17 pm by JRob »

TeriD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 12:42:26 pm »
For those of you still waiting for your Summer #160 to arrive (or those who don't subscribe), thought you might like a peek at one of this issue's features on circus-themed mysteries, from our terrific contributor Ben Boulden. (He's really a great guy, even though he just called us all rubes!)

https://mysteryscenemag.com/article/6550-hey-rube-themystery-is-at-the-circus

Worth noting that Ben mentions the classic "Nightmare Alley" which we featured in Spring Issue #159 ("The Hypnotic Allure of Nightmare Alley" by Pat H. Broeske). After reading this, I also thought of Niall Howell's (https://newestpress.com/authors/niall-howell) April 2019 noir "Only Pretty Damned." It was reviewed by Matt Fowler for us at the MS site (https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/blog-article/6571-only-pretty-damned).

Any ways, just a little something to get you all started down the big top wormhole. Enjoy!

Ben Boulden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 06:14:49 am »
My copy of the latest issue arrived last week and it's another winner. I was surprised and happy to see my circus and carnival article hit the cover. It was fun to write and the biggest struggle I had was cutting it down to a manageable size. There are so many great carnival mysteries in the world. Coming up with the title was the best part, but you're never a rube, Teri.

The Dennis Lehane article is terrific and I'm looking forward to reading everything else.

Ben

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 04:21:13 am »
I met Lori Roy at Bouchercon in Toronto in 2017, and she's a fantastic writer who I need to go back and read her entire backlist. Looking forward to reading Oline's feature, among what looks like a lot of other great pieces.