Author Topic: Edith Maxwell/Maddie Day: Local Food Mysteries, Monday, June 22  (Read 11088 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Note: I have revised the dates of some of these to fit better with Edith's schedule.

The Local Foods Mysteries feature novice organic farmer Cameron Flaherty and take place in the town of Westbury, Massachusetts.

The books:

Mulch Ado About Murder

Mulch Ado About Murder, book five in this popular series, released in May, 2017. When a local farmer is found dead in a vat of hydroponic slurry, there’s no shortage of suspects, including the dead woman’s embittered ex‑husband, the Other Man whose affair ruined their marriage, and farmer Cam’s own mother.

Murder Most Fowl

Murder Most Fowl came out in 2015. When a cold-blooded killer puts the big chill on the residents of Westbury, Massachusetts, organic farmer-turned-sleuth Cam Flaherty has to set aside her seedlings for the time being as she tills the soil for clues in the mysterious death of a local poultry maven.

Farmed and Dangerous

In book three, Farmed and Dangerous, snow is piling up in Westbury, Massachusetts, but murder seems to be the crop in season. Supplying fresh ingredients for a dinner at an assisted living facility seems like the least of Cam’s worries—until one of the elderly residents dies after eating some of her produce. As the suspects gather, a blizzard buries the scene of the crime under a blanket of snow, leaving Cam stranded in the dark with a killer who gives new meaning to the phrase “dead of winter.”

'Til Dirt Do Us Part

In the second book in the series, ‘Til Dirt Do Us Part, the produce is local–and so is the crime–when long-simmering tensions lead to murder following a festive dinner on Cam Flaherty’s organic farm. It’ll take a sleuth who knows the lay of the land to catch this killer. But no one ever said Cam wasn’t willing to get her hands dirty…

A Tine to Live, a Tine to Die

In A Tine to Live, a Tine to Die, geek-turned-novice farmer Cameron Flaherty hopes to make a killing selling organic produce. But when a killer strikes on Cam’s property, her first foray into the world of organic farming yields a bumper crop of locally sourced murder. To clear her name, Cam has to dig up secrets buried deep beneath the soil of her farm. And when the police don’t make progress in the case, she has to catch a murderer whose motto seems to be, “Eat Local. Kill Local.”
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:17:25 pm by Becke Davis »

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Maxwell/Maddie Day: Local Food Mysteries, Monday, June 22
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 01:19:47 am »
I've read two of the five books in this series, and I ordered the rest. These books actually tie in with our other June feature (which has been neglected in favor of Edith's visit) since they center around gardening. Not flower beds or traditional vegetable gardens, but organic gardens, hydroponic gardens, etc. This was the series that hooked me, but now I plan on working my way through all of Edith's series.

I hope I can find some of her short fiction, too. Edith - if your publisher should ever print an anthology of your short fiction, I'll order a copy as soon as it's available!

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 03:26:56 am »
I hope I can find some of her short fiction, too. Edith - if your publisher should ever print an anthology of your short fiction, I'll order a copy as soon as it's available!

Many of my short stories are reissued as short ebooks - all are listed here: https://edithmaxwell.com/short-fiction/

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 01:11:00 pm »

Many of my short stories are reissued as short ebooks - all are listed here: https://edithmaxwell.com/short-fiction/

Ah, well. Ebooks. So, maybe I'll have to break down and get a new ereader one of these days...

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 03:32:42 am »
Thanks, Becke! I loved writing these books.

A few decades ago I had a small organic farm and started writing the first book in the series at that time. When I resumed and wrote the series some years later, it was fun to be back in that world without having to do all the physical work! One of my sons is a farmer, though, and provided me with new material.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 03:52:34 am »
I'm hoping to get started on this series sooner rather than later. I have the five books on hand. I got four of them directly from Edith when she came to my local library.

The first book in the series I had to order online but now that I have them, I'm glad that I'll be able to read them (hopefully) one after the other.

And I'm with Edith, I'd definitely rather read about the work that goes into doing any kind of farming than doing it myself.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 09:46:26 pm »
I'm hoping to get started on this series sooner rather than later. I have the five books on hand. I got four of them directly from Edith when she came to my local library.

The first book in the series I had to order online but now that I have them, I'm glad that I'll be able to read them (hopefully) one after the other.

And I'm with Edith, I'd definitely rather read about the work that goes into doing any kind of farming than doing it myself.

Some of my ancestors were Midwest gardeners - I'm assuming they farmed corn or wheat or soybeans, all common Midwestern crops, but I can't find any record of what they actually farmed.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 06:22:49 pm »
I've read two books in this series and have more on order. Today I was very excited to receive a hard cover edition of 'Til Dirt Do Us Part, which I believe is Book 2. This is next up for me as soon as I finish reading Flipped for Murder.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 10:45:33 pm »
I've read two books in this series and have more on order. Today I was very excited to receive a hard cover edition of 'Til Dirt Do Us Part, which I believe is Book 2. This is next up for me as soon as I finish reading Flipped for Murder.

Now I'm torn. I received GRILLED FOR MURDER today, so I might read that next. I also received A TINE TO LIVE, A TINE TO DIE. Once I read the books I have here, I'll be almost finished with this series. I still have to start the Quaker Midwife series.

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 04:40:25 pm »
I hope you love them - and the historical series!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 05:32:48 pm »
Yesterday I read 'TIL DIRT DO US PART. I've really been enjoying this series!