Author Topic: NEW!! Author of the Month for June: EDITH MAXWELL aka MADDIE DAY!  (Read 26470 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NEW!! Author of the Month for June: EDITH MAXWELL aka MADDIE DAY!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 11:50:31 am »
Becke wrote:
<The reporter has "perfectly styled streaked silver hair." I immediately thought of a Boston TV news reporter who is also an acclaimed mystery author. Was this a shout-out?

You bet! That Easter egg was a shoutout to Hank Phillippi Ryan. Good eye, Becke.

That's funny! Now I'll have to keep my eyes open for other surprises like that!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 04:01:32 pm »
Becke wrote:
<The reporter has "perfectly styled streaked silver hair." I immediately thought of a Boston TV news reporter who is also an acclaimed mystery author. Was this a shout-out?

You bet! That Easter egg was a shoutout to Hank Phillippi Ryan. Good eye, Becke.

If I remember correctly, Hank Phillippi Ryan also popped up in one of Ace Atkins' Spenser novels too.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 12:46:25 am »
Becke wrote:

If I remember correctly, Hank Phillippi Ryan also popped up in one of Ace Atkins' Spenser novels too.

Your memory is excellent! Hank posted an excerpt of Ace Atkins' book on her Facebook page. I got a kick out of it so I ordered the book. It was better than I expected - I've read another one of the Ace Atkins/Spencer books since then.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 12:56:08 am »
Edith - I'm eagerly awaiting deliveries from Amazon and ABE Books with new and old copies of your books. I'm going to be very antisocial when they arrive - I'm looking forward to a reading binge!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 04:14:10 am »
Edith - I'm eagerly awaiting deliveries from Amazon and ABE Books with new and old copies of your books. I'm going to be very antisocial when they arrive - I'm looking forward to a reading binge!

As one who has binged on Edith's books, it is well worth cutting off the outside world so you can spend time in the worlds that she has created!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 02:04:14 am »
I'm halfway through FARMED AND DANGEROUS, and hopefully I'll get another couple of Edith's books in the mail tomorrow. I'll probably stay up way too late tonight to finish this one. . .or NOT! How did it get to be 2 a.m. already?

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 03:41:48 am »
I'm halfway through FARMED AND DANGEROUS, and hopefully I'll get another couple of Edith's books in the mail tomorrow. I'll probably stay up way too late tonight to finish this one. . .or NOT! How did it get to be 2 a.m. already?

Oddly enough, I was awake at 2 a.m. as well. But it was because that was the time I woke up after falling asleep before 11 a.m. while watching TV.

But if you are going to stay up late reading, reading one of Edith's books is certainly a good reason.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2020, 06:52:58 pm »
I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually pre-ordered a book.

Last night, I made the most recent pre-order Edith's new Country Store mystery NACHO AVERAGE MURDER. Sure, I could just wait for the on-sale date and get it at my local store but at least this way I know that I'm guaranteed to get my hands on a copy as soon as possible.

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 06:28:32 am »
Thanks so much, Jay! I hope you love the story.

And thanks for ordering my books, Becke. That delights me.

Now - how do we draw others into this group?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2020, 05:53:52 pm »
Thanks so much, Jay! I hope you love the story.

And thanks for ordering my books, Becke. That delights me.

Now - how do we draw others into this group?

I had the same problem when I moderated Barnes & Noble's Mystery Forum before they archived it. You can see the number of views on the Welcome and General Discussion page. We have a couple hundred members here, but apparently a lot of them are shy. the number of views invariably FAR exceeds the number of comments posted.

If any of you have ideas how we can encourage more people to engage, I'd welcome your input!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 06:53:48 pm »

I really enjoyed this book! There was a lot of excitement - LOTS going on, and some of it pretty scary!

The books I ordered from Amazon and ABE.com haven't arrived yet, and I'm getting antsy! The books I'm waiting for are A TINE TO LIVE, A TINE TO DIE, 'TIL DIRT DO US PART, FLIPPED FOR MURDER, GRILLED FOR MURDER - I think there are a few more coming from ABE, I've got a bunch of orders with them.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2020, 07:05:28 pm »
I'm wondering if posting about the forum on other book related forums trying to drum up some attention for this board would be a good idea.

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 03:45:21 am »
I can schedule some days, one for each of my series, and then advertise those. Thoughts?

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2020, 03:56:07 am »
I can schedule some days, one for each of my series, and then advertise those. Thoughts?

Not that I have a real say but I think that's a good idea. I did that for when you came to my local library on a smaller scale when I spotlighted one of your series each day leading up to the appearance on my Facebook page. I know it didn't work the way I had hoped but at least I know I did my part in promoting.

Plus, you have a greater reach than I do. :D

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2020, 03:55:17 pm »
I'm not sure how much response we get from Facebook, but I periodically share links there. I just posted a couple of announcements and links about Maddie's visits. Let's see if that brings in some new participants.

We can split Edith's visits and focus on a different series every day. I'm not sure how that would work if the people who stop by haven't read these books, though. Jay and Edith, what do you think?

I'm hoping these links will work - this is from Edith's website: https://edithmaxwell.com/

Edith & Maddie’s Mystery Library

Quaker Midwife Mysteries
Edith Maxwell writes the historical Quaker Midwife Mysteries. Taken Too Soon – book six – releases from Beyond the Page Press in September, 2020. Dressed as a 1880s Quaker, Edith launched the series with a historic walking tour of Amesbury, Massachusetts.

News flash: Charity’s Burden won the Agatha Award for Best Historical Novel!

Country Store Mysteries
As Maddie Day, Edith writes the wildly popular Country Store Mysteries, from Kensington Publishing. Nacho Average Murder releases in June, 2020, including in audio.

Cozy Capers Book Group Mysteries
The Cozy Capers Book Group Mysteries, a foodie mystery series also written as Maddie Day, debuted in December, 2018 with Murder on Cape Cod. Murder at the Taffy Shop is out in a one-year paperback exclusive with Barnes & Noble.

Local Foods Mysteries
Edith wrote the Local Foods Mysteries series, also from Kensington. Mulch Ado About Murder released in May 2017, the fifth in this popular series set on an organic farm.

Lauren Rousseau Mysteries
Edith has written under the name Tace Baker, as well, with two Lauren Rousseau Mysteries: Bluffing is Murder and Speaking of Murder. The books will re-release in summer, 2020, as Edith Maxwell mysteries.

Short Crime Fiction
Edith Maxwell also writes Agatha-nominated and award-winning short crime fiction.