Author Topic: NEW!! Author of the Month for June: EDITH MAXWELL aka MADDIE DAY!  (Read 26468 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm excited to announce a new feature - AUTHOR OF THE MONTH. For June, Edith Maxwell, who also writes as Maddie Day, has agreed to stop by and chat with us periodically throughout the month.

Bring your questions about her books or her upcoming release(s)!

Separate topic threads have been set up focusing on each of the author's series. Please use this topic thread for general comments and questions.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 02:04:33 am by Becke Davis »

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
Re: NEW!! Author of the Month for June: EDITH MAXWELL aka MADDIE DAY!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 06:14:29 am »
Hi everybody! I'm thrilled to be the Author of the Month here, and can't wait to get to know you all.

A little background about me: I'm Edith Maxwell, writing the Agatha Award winning (squee!) historical Quaker Midwife Mysteries, the Local Foods Mysteries, and short crime fiction. As Maddie Day I write the Country Store Mysteries and the Cozy Capers Book Group Mysteries, both contemporary cozies.

I love being a full-time fiction writer, and spend every morning in my second floor office north of Boston following characters around and writing down what they do. But all my series are traditional/cozy, so you'll never see violence on the page, or read obscenities or sex scenes (there's romance, but they shut the bedroom door before it gets too exciting...). More important, justice is restored to the community in the end. And these days, isn't that what we all long for?

I'm also a mom to two fine adult men, M-i-L to a wonderful daughter-in-law, and long-time partner to my beau, a man who makes me laugh. We are temporarily without kitties in the house but are looking for a couple of kittens to adopt when they come available. I'm a gardener, world traveler, amateur chef, and fourth-generation Californian (who has now lived in Massachusetts longer than she lived on the West Coast). You can sign up for my newsletter and find all my links at edithmaxwell.com - and I hope you do!

Do you have a favorite of my series? Questions for me? I will drop by as my schedule permits, and will make sure I spend a day going more deeply into each series as the month progresses.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 07:42:11 am »
Hi Edith - Thanks so much for joining us! I just started reading MULCH ADO ABOUT MURDER and last month I read MURDER ON CAPE COD (a Maddie Day book). I was intrigued by the African Gray parrot, Bella (Belle?) in the latter. I know another author who had an African Gray that was far from an ideal pet. I got a kick out of reading about Bella and I'm curious what inspired her "character." Have you ever had one?

Did you have a particular reason for writing some books as Edith and others as Maddie? Do have a favorite book/series of the ones you've written?

I have MURDER MOST FOWL in my waiting to be read pile. Maybe others, too?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:58:45 am by Becke Davis »

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 04:01:00 pm »
I just sat down to read my new issue of Mystery Scene magazine, and what did I find but a feature on Edith/Maddie! I set aside my book - the magazine is calling my name right now!

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 06:31:44 pm »
Hi Edith - It's nice to meet you. I was surprised to find out you also wrote the Tace Baker books. I haven't read those yet but I heard they are really good. I want to read your Quaker Midwife books - they sound different than any mysteries I've read. What inspired you to write those books? I like that English show, Call the Midwife, so I think I'd like these, too.

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 03:57:50 am »
Thanks, Hannah. The two Lauren Rousseau mysteries that I wrote as Tace Baker are out of print, but they are being re-released this summer as Edith Maxwell books. Speaking of Murder will be out at the end of July, and the second one in August.

If you like Call the Midwife, you would love my Quaker Midwife Mysteries! I was formerly a doula and childbirth educator, and I am a Quaker in a town with a lot of history, so it made sense to put those things together into a set of stories.

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 04:24:37 am »
Becke wrote:
<I'm curious what inspired Belle's "character." Have you ever had one?

<Did you have a particular reason for writing some books as Edith and others as Maddie? Do have a favorite book/series of the ones you've written?

Becke, I just wanted to shake up the cozy cat/dog trope a little. When I was creating protagonist Mackenzie Almeida, I decided to make her allergic to mammal pets, but she could have a parrot. I have a friend who has one, and Jewel is infinitely entertaining. So I kind of modeled Belle on her.

My publisher wanted me to use a pen name for the Country Store series. It has done so well, written by Maddie Day, they went with Maddie to author the Cozy Capers series, too.

I love all my series, but I think the Quaker Midwife series is closest to my heart.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 06:11:51 am »
The debut of a new message board forum feature and it stars the one and only EDITH MAXWELL aka MADDIE DAY!

Becke, you just know how to get me to chat my fool head off don't you?

I am a HUGE fan of Edith's work. The Country Store Mysteries are my favorite but I have grabbed up every book I can find that Edith has written. I picked up the copy of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine that featured one of her short stories and any time there's a new book out, it goes to the top of my to read list. So you know that NACHO AVERAGE MURDER will be the book I am reading when it comes out at the end of the month.

I've been able to attend a number of signings that Edith has done in the past couple of years (though it stunk that this year's events had to be cancelled for obvious reasons).

My love of Edith's work has even led to my being featured a couple of times in her newsletter and a quote from one of my reviews being used in the pre-release online hype she did for one of the books. After all, Robbie Jordan kicks as much butt as Jack Reacher....with way better food!

My most recent acquisition has been the two Tace Baker books. I got them used off eBay because I wanted the originals but I do plan to get them when they are republished this summer too.

Oh and one of those signings I attended? It was at my hometown library as part of our Mystery Book Club. We read the first book in her Quaker Midwife Mysteries series and Edith came to the meeting when we talked about it. It was as the kids say...so cool!

When I first got back into reading books after having the joy beaten out of me in high school by being forced to read stuff I didn't like, I read some cozy series. There were a couple that were good but I found a lot of them to be rather bad.

So I read more hardcore mysteries and thrillers. But I started picking up some cozy series in the last few years and they've been so much better to read than those I read a long time ago. At the top of my list of cozy authors is Edith Maxwell, who's books have just been appointment reading for me. And since I can attest to this from personal experience, Edith herself has been as great to talk to as her books have been to read!

'Nuff Said!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 01:50:18 pm »
Thanks, Hannah. The two Lauren Rousseau mysteries that I wrote as Tace Baker are out of print, but they are being re-released this summer as Edith Maxwell books. Speaking of Murder will be out at the end of July, and the second one in August.

If you like Call the Midwife, you would love my Quaker Midwife Mysteries! I was formerly a doula and childbirth educator, and I am a Quaker in a town with a lot of history, so it made sense to put those things together into a set of stories.

Wow - you were a doula and a childbirth educator? Do elements of your Quaker Midwife stories stem from your real-life experiences?

My great-grandfather was a Quaker in his youth and attended a Quaker school. As an adult he became a Methodist "circuit rider" - a sort of traveling minister. He left journals about his adult life but nothing has turned up about his formative years. I'd love to find out was his school days were like.

I haven't read any of the books in this series yet, but I'll have to add them to my list!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 02:03:20 pm »
The debut of a new message board forum feature and it stars the one and only EDITH MAXWELL aka MADDIE DAY!

Becke, you just know how to get me to chat my fool head off don't you?

I am a HUGE fan of Edith's work. The Country Store Mysteries are my favorite but I have grabbed up every book I can find that Edith has written. I picked up the copy of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine that featured one of her short stories and any time there's a new book out, it goes to the top of my to read list. So you know that NACHO AVERAGE MURDER will be the book I am reading when it comes out at the end of the month.

I've been able to attend a number of signings that Edith has done in the past couple of years (though it stunk that this year's events had to be cancelled for obvious reasons).

My love of Edith's work has even led to my being featured a couple of times in her newsletter and a quote from one of my reviews being used in the pre-release online hype she did for one of the books. After all, Robbie Jordan kicks as much butt as Jack Reacher....with way better food!

My most recent acquisition has been the two Tace Baker books. I got them used off eBay because I wanted the originals but I do plan to get them when they are republished this summer too.

Oh and one of those signings I attended? It was at my hometown library as part of our Mystery Book Club. We read the first book in her Quaker Midwife Mysteries series and Edith came to the meeting when we talked about it. It was as the kids say...so cool!

When I first got back into reading books after having the joy beaten out of me in high school by being forced to read stuff I didn't like, I read some cozy series. There were a couple that were good but I found a lot of them to be rather bad.

So I read more hardcore mysteries and thrillers. But I started picking up some cozy series in the last few years and they've been so much better to read than those I read a long time ago. At the top of my list of cozy authors is Edith Maxwell, who's books have just been appointment reading for me. And since I can attest to this from personal experience, Edith herself has been as great to talk to as her books have been to read!

'Nuff Said!

Jay - "'Nuff said?" Never! I admit I could picture you grinning when you saw this topic pop up. I'm so glad Edith agreed to join us! We're playing it by ear right now, waiting to see if it works with her dropping in at her convenience. Alternatively, we could schedule a day and time for her to visit. I know she has a busy schedule - not the least of which involves writing books! - so I hope we can make this a low-stress event.

Edith - Jay single-handedly turned me on to your books. I read all kinds of mysteries but since the advent of coronavirus, I've been reading a lot more cozies than usual. I have some friends who write cozies - Duffy Brown and Betty Hechtman are "real life" friends - so I've always kept up with theirs. And I met other authors online when I moderated the BN.com Mystery Forum when it was still around. I've had a lot of catching up to do reading all the new cozies (and working my way through author backlists), and my ever-growing waiting-to-be-read pile could fill a library.

Speaking of libraries, are you all keeping "wish lists" for when you local libraries open again? I broke down and bought some books recently, including some vintage treasures, so I need to read even faster. 

This month, I'm focusing on Edith/Maddie books and garden-related mysteries (surprisingly, some of those aren't at all cozy!), old and new.

Thanks again for joining us, Edith! (I'm partial to your name - it was my grandmother's name.)

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 06:08:16 am »
Jay, I'm so glad you started reading cozies!

Becke, my experience working with pregnant couples and women, and my own experiences with home births absolutely help me with the Quaker Midwife stories.

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 07:07:59 am »
Does anyone here love historical fiction? My sixth Quaker Midwife mystery is up for review on NetGalley! https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/book/193288

It releases September 8.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 09:55:51 am »
Edith, I don't read a lot of historical fiction but I've read some. Usually associated with World War II. And you know that I'll be reading Book 6 of the Quaker Midwife mystery series for sure.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 04:47:03 pm »
Edith, I don't read a lot of historical fiction but I've read some. Usually associated with World War II. And you know that I'll be reading Book 6 of the Quaker Midwife mystery series for sure.

I'm looking forward to reading this series, too. Meanwhile, I just finished MULCH ADO ABOUT MURDER, which is an Edith Maxwell book, AND it fits in with this month's garden-related mystery feature. Hydroponic gardening and organic herb gardening might seem peaceful occupations, but Cam Flaherty finds gardening has a deadly side.

I liked this a lot, and will definitely look for more in this series.

Edith, I have a question about a paragraph on page 264. Cam is watching TV: "A well-known Boston reporter appeared on the screen..." The reporter has "perfectly styled streaked silver hair." I immediately thought of a Boston TV news reporter who is also an acclaimed mystery author. Was this a shout-out?

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 06:23:57 pm »
Becke wrote:
<The reporter has "perfectly styled streaked silver hair." I immediately thought of a Boston TV news reporter who is also an acclaimed mystery author. Was this a shout-out?

You bet! That Easter egg was a shoutout to Hank Phillippi Ryan. Good eye, Becke.