Author Topic: Calling all Edith Maxwell cozy readers  (Read 14812 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Calling all Edith Maxwell cozy readers
« on: May 02, 2020, 01:16:40 am »
Cozy author Edith Hamilton, whose real name is Maddie Day, is a member of the Save Our Cozies group on Facebook.

She's also here: https://www.facebook.com/MaddieDayAuthor/?pageid=469826103183919&ftentidentifier=1460693220763864&padding=0

She posted a call for help to her readers on the Save Our Cozies page:

Maddie Day shared a post.
18 hrs

"Gah. I'm writing the 9th book in the Country Store series. I can't remember name of a fictional Mexican restaurant in an earlier book. I wonder if one of my faithful readers here knows it? Because otherwise I'm going to have to search eight and a half files..."

Have at it!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:11:33 pm by Becke Davis »

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Calling all Edith Hamilton cozy readers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 10:21:11 am »
Becke,

A couple of things about this.

It's Edith Maxwell. She writes as Maddie Day as well, but Edith Maxwell is her real name.

I'm on fairly sure ground about this because she's a Facebook friend of mine and I've met her at signings a number of times.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Edith Hamilton cozy readers
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 10:44:05 pm »
Becke,

It's Edith Maxwell. She writes as Maddie Day as well, but Edith Maxwell is her real name.

I'm on fairly sure ground about this because she's a Facebook friend of mine and I've met her at signings a number of times.

You are on very solid ground - I wonder how late/early it was when I wrote that?  I do have some books by Edith Hamilton, but they aren't cozy mysteries - they're books about Greek Mythology! And the series Edith/Maddie was asking about (the Country Store series) was one written as Maddie Day.

So...thanks for fact-checking! And my apologies for screwing this up.

Can you help Maddie with the name of the Mexican restaurant? I have some books by Maddie/Edith, but not this series.

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Calling all Edith Maxwell cozy readers
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 06:49:58 am »
I've been trying to find the answer. I'm stumped at the moment.

And I can't believe you don't have this series! For me, this is my favorite series from Edith/Maddie. I love Robbie Jordan. When I wrote a review of one of the books over on Goodreads, I said "Robbie Jordan kicks as much butt as Jack Reacher...with way better food!"

That line was used by Edith in her newsletter as one of her favorite reviews. And she came to my local library's Mystery Book Club when we talked about the first book in her Quaker Midwife Mystery series a few months back. That was awesome let me say.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 12:30:31 am »
I've been trying to find the answer. I'm stumped at the moment.

And I can't believe you don't have this series! For me, this is my favorite series from Edith/Maddie. I love Robbie Jordan. When I wrote a review of one of the books over on Goodreads, I said "Robbie Jordan kicks as much butt as Jack Reacher...with way better food!"

That line was used by Edith in her newsletter as one of her favorite reviews. And she came to my local library's Mystery Book Club when we talked about the first book in her Quaker Midwife Mystery series a few months back. That was awesome let me say.

I've pulled one of her books from my to-be-read pile to read soon (I'm juggling a bunch of books I want to read next). Do you have a favorite you'd recommend? Doesn't matter to me if it's the first in the series or not.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 12:48:40 am »
I didn't realize Maddie Day is the same person as Edith Maxwell. I have a Maddie Day book called Murder on Cape Cod. I liked the idea of a book club solving mysteries. I've had this for awhile but hadn't been in the mood for cozies.

I just finished one called A Vicky Hill Exclusive! by an author who is new to me, Hannah Dennison. I think this is her first book. Some reviews make it sound like this is a barrel of laughs. I didn't think it was funny, but it was sort of lighthearted, and the plot did keep me guessing. I will look for the second book in this series.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 06:48:42 am »

I've pulled one of her books from my to-be-read pile to read soon (I'm juggling a bunch of books I want to read next). Do you have a favorite you'd recommend? Doesn't matter to me if it's the first in the series or not.

I'm a giant fan of her Country Store series but I do not separate out the individual books for that series. I would simply start with FLIPPED FOR MURDER and read the series in order. It's a real gem of a series and well worth becoming involved in. I managed to convince a co-worker to read the first book in the series and now she's as addicted to it as me.

I also gave SIGNED copies of FLIPPED FOR MURDER to a couple other people as well.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 06:50:48 am »
I didn't realize Maddie Day is the same person as Edith Maxwell. I have a Maddie Day book called Murder on Cape Cod. I liked the idea of a book club solving mysteries. I've had this for awhile but hadn't been in the mood for cozies.

MURDER ON CAPE COD is the first book in the Cozy Capers Book Group series. It is pretty good, but the 2nd book in the series, MURDER AT THE TAFFY SHOP, is even better! Definitely worth reading the series in order!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 02:18:56 pm »

I'm a giant fan of her Country Store series but I do not separate out the individual books for that series. I would simply start with FLIPPED FOR MURDER and read the series in order. It's a real gem of a series and well worth becoming involved in. I managed to convince a co-worker to read the first book in the series and now she's as addicted to it as me.

I also gave SIGNED copies of FLIPPED FOR MURDER to a couple other people as well.

I don't have that one in my waiting-to-be-read pile but I'll see if I can find a used copy online. Thanks!

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 06:24:27 am »
Thanks, everybody! Yes I am Edith AND Maddie. And I'm now featured author for the month in another thread! I just put up my intro, and I'll be popping in all month.

As it turns out, I never named that restaurant in the earlier book, so in No Grater Crime it becomes Pacos Tacos. ;^)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 08:01:04 am »

I just finished one called A Vicky Hill Exclusive! by an author who is new to me, Hannah Dennison. I think this is her first book. Some reviews make it sound like this is a barrel of laughs. I didn't think it was funny, but it was sort of lighthearted, and the plot did keep me guessing. I will look for the second book in this series.

I just read MURDER ON CAPE COD recently. It was a good one!

EdithMaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 04:25:58 am »
I'm delighted you loved Murder on Cape Cod, Becke!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 02:13:58 pm »
I'm delighted you loved Murder on Cape Cod, Becke!

I was drawn to that title because, while I've never been to Cape Cod, my sister-in-law used to live there for part of the year, and she and my brother visit the Cape regularly (they live in Vermont, so it's not far). My aunt and uncle, who lived in the Berkshires, used to go there every summer. I've heard so much about it, I hope to go there one day. I'm on the opposite coast in Eugene, Oregon, so I won't be traveling there anytime soon. In the meantime, it was fun to read your book about it!

I read a Jane Langton book set in Nantucket a few months ago - I'm not sure that's technically Cape Cod. I've been looking for copies of Philip R. Craig's Martha's Vineyard mysteries which are both hard to find and very expensive. I thought I'd read some Aaron Elkins books set in the Cape Cod area, but so far I'm only finding Elkins books set in other parts of Massachusetts. I must be unintentionally building up a collection of books set in the Cape Cod area. I need to rearrange my books by where they take place. Turns out I have a lot of books set in MA. Who knew?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:25:56 pm by Becke Davis »

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 11:28:25 pm »
Becke,

You are on very solid ground - I wonder how late/early it was when I wrote that?  I do have some books by Edith Hamilton, but they aren't cozy mysteries - they're books about Greek Mythology! And the series Edith/Maddie was asking about (the Country Store series) was one written as Maddie Day.

So...thanks for fact-checking! And my apologies for screwing this up.

Can you help Maddie with the name of the Mexican restaurant? I have some books by Maddie/Edith, but not this series.

Edith - My apologies for mistaking you for Edith Hamilton. I think I'm suffering from corona-brain!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 10:46:21 pm »
My husband was watching a TV show about Quakers today and I mentioned I'd been reading a lot of books by Edith Maxwell, a mystery author who happens to be Quaker and has a series about a Quaker midwife. Much to my surprise, my husband nodded and said, "Edith Maxwell - yes, she's famous!" He is very interested in the Quaker way of life and apparently had come across Edith's name on a regular basis!