Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
What I'm Reading / Re: My latest read is...
« Last post by Becke Davis on February 26, 2021, 05:40:24 pm »
I've been reading a lot:

I liked book one of a series by M.S. Morris. It's called ASPIRE TO DIE and I liked it a lot.

I also read A GLANCING LIGHT by Aaron Elkins. It had more violence than other books of his I've read, so it wasn't a favorite. (My favorites are the book he and his wife co-wrote.)

I really liked the first book in Deborah Blake's new Catskills Pet Rescue cozy series - FURBIDDEN FATALITY.. I'm looking forward to more books in this series.

I'm currently about halfway through Book Ten in Nancy Warren's Vampire Knitting Club series - GARTERS AND GARGOYLES. I think I only have two books left in this series. Luckily, she wrote other series - I'm looking forward to reading those, too.
Welcome and General Discussion / Re: RIP Margaret Maron
« Last post by Becke Davis on February 26, 2021, 05:33:44 pm »
Katherine Hall Page posted about this on Facebook - I just saw it. So sad!

"Katherine Hall Page

Just received the devastating news of Margaret Maron's death yesterday. "It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer." (Charlotte's Web). Thank you, Margaret for thirty one years of friendship and all the wonderful books.Will raise a Cosmo to you tonight.

R to L: Margaret, Nancy Pickard, Hank Phillippi Ryan, me

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3731812140233620&set=a.180114302070106

There is a wonderful announcement from her family on Margaret's FB page. Be sure to read what she wanted as an epitaph. A life well and truly lived, dear Margaret."

Lots of interesting posts here but not sure which one Katherine was referring to:

https://www.facebook.com/margaret.maron.3
« Last post by JRob on February 26, 2021, 10:18:33 am »
I am currently reading an advance copy of the Marc Cameron thriller BONE RATTLE. I'll be reviewing it for Mystery Scene and I just got another ARC in the mail yesterday that looks promising as well.

Oh and I'm picking up Amy Pershing's A SIDE OF MURDER tomorrow. The series is set on Cape Cod (not sure about what town exactly yet) but since I'm just off of the Cape, I figured I'd give it a try.
Welcome and General Discussion / RIP Margaret Maron
« Last post by JRob on February 24, 2021, 04:31:09 am »
The news was posted online via Twitter. I haven't been able to find an official news article to link to but author Margaret Maron passed away yesterday.

Here's the photo of the state released by her family:

« Last post by Becke Davis on February 20, 2021, 07:01:59 pm »
Congratulations - that is so cool!
« Last post by JRob on February 19, 2021, 07:35:13 am »
I just finished reading an advance copy of the debut thriller from Robyn Gigl called BY WAY OF SORROW. I'm going to be submitting a review to the magazine so I won't say anything more here for now.

So I loved the book and my review was printed in the magazine. But the publication got pushed back from last year to the end of March this year.

When I looked at the review section PDF that was sent to me for the upcoming new issue, I noticed a trade ad from Kensington Publishing about the book. And wouldn't you know it, the review quote they used at the top of the ad was mine! Totally cool I must say.

« Last post by Becke Davis on February 19, 2021, 01:00:37 am »
I forgot to mention one thing about AS SHE LEFT IT. The main character's name is Opal. In one scene, she mentions how rare it was to have other girls with names starting with "O" in her classes at school.

With the popularity of Olivia, I think O names might be a little more common now. When I tried to think of others, the first one that came to mind was Oline, like Mystery Scene's Oline Cogdill.

Others I came up with: Olga, Ophelia, Ondine, Oprah, Orchid, Orla, Olive - any others you can think of?
« Last post by JRob on February 17, 2021, 03:45:55 am »

I was trying to choose between several books but I started in on this one after reading the date on page one, as the story opens: Tuesday, February 16. I figure it's a sign I should read it today!

Yeah, that's a definite sign.  ;D
« Last post by Becke Davis on February 16, 2021, 10:49:26 pm »
I finished Catriona McPherson's stand-alone AS SHE LEFT IT last night. I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep until I finished it. Wow - so many twists! I really liked it.

This morning I started another book by this author - another stand-alone. My edition is called HOUSE.TREE.PERSON. It was also published as WEIGHT OF ANGELS.

I was trying to choose between several books but I started in on this one after reading the date on page one, as the story opens: Tuesday, February 16. I figure it's a sign I should read it today!
Welcome and General Discussion / Re: Interesting article about bookplates
« Last post by JRob on February 12, 2021, 04:50:38 pm »
In her latest author newsletter, J.A. Jance offered a signed bookplate and a signed bookmark for her latest book 'Missing and Endangered'.

I plan to buy the book, so I sent off a SASE. I included a note that included me taking a shot to request a couple extra bookmarks that I could share with the Mystery Book Club whenever we get to resume having in-person gatherings at the Wareham Free Library. I said that 2 or 3 bookmarks would be great and that Jance didn't have to sign them.

Yesterday, I received an envelope in the mail from the author. Not only was the bookplate there, but she included a baker's dozen of bookmarks and they were all signed as well!

So a big thank you to goes out to J.A. Jance for going above and beyond with the bookmarks! They will be shared quite enthusiastically!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's awesome! I'm always impressed by the generosity of authors. I like J. A. Jance's books and have several still on my bookshelves.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »