Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
What I'm Reading / Re: My latest read is...
« Last post by JRob on April 08, 2021, 04:00:52 am »
The Matthew Quirk book HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN used a pull quote of mine for the book's paperback edition.

Top Ten Lists / Re: My Top 10 Mysteries & Thrillers of 2020!
« Last post by JRob on April 02, 2021, 04:56:11 pm »
Oh, and I just found out that the paperback edition of Matthew Quirk's HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN, which came out in January 2021  included a pull quote from my review!

« Last post by JRob on March 31, 2021, 02:33:44 pm »
Last year I wrote a review for the magazine of the Robyn Gigl debut legal thriller BY WAY OF SORROW. I really loved it. But the pandemic pushed the book back for publication until yesterday.

In that time, Kensington Publishing used a pull quote from my review in a trade ad, a longer pull quote in the press release and on various online sites to buy the book. And this morning I found out that the longer pull quote appears on the back cover of the hardcover edition. I called up the book store and put a copy of it on hold so I can have it in my collection.

« Last post by JRob on March 24, 2021, 04:01:38 pm »
I'm currently reading an advance copy of the new C.J. Box book DARK SKY. It's due out in March.

Here's my review as it appeared in the latest issue of the magazine.

« Last post by JRob on March 19, 2021, 04:51:08 pm »
I finished reading MURDER ON THE METRO by Jon Land. It's the first book written by him in the Capital Crimes series that was originated by Margaret Truman. And I found it to be an outstanding thriller. You can read my Goodreads review of it via this link.
« Last post by JRob on March 15, 2021, 02:34:04 pm »
I finished Tracy Gardner's RUBY RED HERRING and submitted a review of it to the magazine.

I've read something by this author - I'll have to check. I just finished THE SNOWDONIA KILLINGS by Simon McCleave. I liked it a lot and I'm eager to read more of these books, which are set in Wales.
What I'm Reading / MURDER INK by Betty Hechtman
« Last post by Becke Davis on March 08, 2021, 07:09:49 pm »
I've read all of Betty Hechtman's yarn craft and crochet mysteries, and I'm excited about her new series, that starts out with book number one, MURDER INK. Her amateur detective, Veronica Blackstone, is an author and a writer-for-hire, whose current gig is writing a sort of memory book for the funeral of a wealthy young woman who died under mysterious circumstances. Veronica helped compose the wedding vows for the victim and her husband only the year before.

As the plot thickens, Veronica takes on other jobs that weave in with the original project, making the original plot more interesting and harder for the reader to solve. I like the additional touches like the meetings with Veronica's writing class and an addition to her household.

I liked this book a lot and I'm looking forward to more books in this series!

« Last post by Becke Davis on February 27, 2021, 03:32:02 pm »
I just picked up the Amy Pershing book A SIDE OF MURDER today. It's the first book in the Cape Cod Foodie mystery series. I read about her and the book on the Jungle Red Writers blog and put it on my must-buy list.

But I also stopped off at my local comic shop where I put in an order for J.C. Vaughn's SECOND WEDNESDAY, which is the first book in the Donovan Bay series. It's a prose novel and it comes out in May. I also discovered that Image Comics will start publishing a nine issue miniseries called THE GOOD ASIAN, which is about (obviously) an Asian detective in 1936 Chinatown. I added that to my pull list.

And I picked up the first issue of a new miniseries called Stray Dogs. It's a murder mystery but the main characters are all dogs. The main dog is trying to find their owner and a killer may have done his human in. The art is done in the Don Bluth animation style and check out the fantastic homage cover art for the first issue.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm interested in the Stray Dogs series. It sounds a bit like Spencer Quinn's books. I love the way he writes. It's rare for a mystery to make me laugh out loud but Chet, the dog protagonist, has given me the giggles many times.
Welcome and General Discussion / Re: RIP Margaret Maron
« Last post by JRob on February 27, 2021, 01:51:39 pm »
The Jungle Red Writers blog did a post about Maron today (Saturday, Feb. 27th).
« Last post by JRob on February 27, 2021, 01:48:43 pm »
I just picked up the Amy Pershing book A SIDE OF MURDER today. It's the first book in the Cape Cod Foodie mystery series. I read about her and the book on the Jungle Red Writers blog and put it on my must-buy list.

But I also stopped off at my local comic shop where I put in an order for J.C. Vaughn's SECOND WEDNESDAY, which is the first book in the Donovan Bay series. It's a prose novel and it comes out in May. I also discovered that Image Comics will start publishing a nine issue miniseries called THE GOOD ASIAN, which is about (obviously) an Asian detective in 1936 Chinatown. I added that to my pull list.

And I picked up the first issue of a new miniseries called Stray Dogs. It's a murder mystery but the main characters are all dogs. The main dog is trying to find their owner and a killer may have done his human in. The art is done in the Don Bluth animation style and check out the fantastic homage cover art for the first issue.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »