Author Topic: A BETTER MAN by Louise Penny  (Read 7752 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A BETTER MAN by Louise Penny
« on: December 22, 2019, 07:01:01 pm »
Sometimes I jump into a series willy-nilly. I'd heard tremendous recommendations for this series before I finally picked up book 5. I quickly realized this isn't the kind of series you can't read out of order. I started from the beginning and have just read the latest book in the series. It's the best one yet!

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A BETTER MAN by Louise Penny
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 11:12:02 am »
Yes, I agree that the Louise Penny books have to be read in order to best enjoy them. The multi-book character arcs are a big part of her appeal.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 04:05:20 pm »
Yes, I agree that the Louise Penny books have to be read in order to best enjoy them. The multi-book character arcs are a big part of her appeal.

I love the way we get to know her characters so well - some end up feeling almost like family, others seem like close neighbors.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 03:51:00 pm »
Exciting news in Louise Penny's newsletter! I'll attempt to paste the details here:

Louise Penny
- February Newsletter

" ….my library was dukedom large enough."
- Shakespeare, The Tempest

Not sure if you've heard, but I can now tell you the title of the next Gamache book!  It's a quote from Shakespeare's The Tempest.

Just as a young man is leaping to almost certain death from a storm-tossed ship, he screams, 'Hell is empty, and all the devils are here.'

Wow.  The terror.  Delivered just as this young man and his shipmates were in the middle of what they thought would be a great and wonderful adventure. 

And so it is in this book.  I won't, as yet, tell you the plot, but the title is:

ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE.

It is coming out on September 1st.

Book 16 in the chronicles of Armand Gamache et al.  Can you believe it?

"Oh brave new world, that has such people in it"

The Tempest

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 03:56:16 pm »
More from the February newsletter:

Editing

It has taken me a year to research and write this book.  As you know, I only produce one thing all year.  No short stories, no essays.  No ceramics and hardly any meals.  Just this.  But oh, the joy of being in the company of Gamache and all the others.

Of course, it's not always easy, for them or for me.  But so very rewarding.  To create, and get to visit, that brave new world.  And to have you as company. 

For now, I've finished the book and am working on the notes from my editors.  Notes I take extremely seriously, out of respect for them, for the characters, for you, and for myself.

Though, God knows, I feel like a worm on a hook - reading the 'suggestions' and writhing.  Muttering, 'But it's perfect as it is!!  How dare they!!'

Even the smallest suggestion feels, at first, like a drip of acid.  (I believe I just mixed metaphors…what would my editor say?  Oh, wait, I know exactly.  And how would I react to her perfectly justified and helpful 'suggestion'?  Oh, wait.  I know exactly.)

Then I get off my self-imposed hook (and develop a thicker skin), and get to work.  I don't accept every suggestion, but quite a few I do. 

And I take all of them seriously.  If not always with good humour.

February in Canada

Am back in Quebec now, and loving it.  Re-connecting with friends, with the village.  With Pilates.  With butter tarts. 

Having finished the writing, if not the writhing, and into the editing, and without promotion commitments in the agenda for this month, I can now go to sleep without setting an alarm.  What bliss!  What a rare gift that is, in all our lives.

A Better Man - Agatha nomination

Had fun news a few days ago.  A BETTER MAN, the latest Gamache book, has been nominated for an Agatha Award for Best Contemporary Novel. 

And, to make it sweeter, a lot of my friends are also nominated, in that category and others.  It makes a great To Be Read list. 

Click here to see the full list of nominees: http://malicedomestic.org/agathas.html

Congratulations to all.  Whoever wins, I am happy.

Audie Award nomination

In other great news, KINGDOM OF THE BLIND has been nominated for the Audie Award for Best Male Narrator!!  A wonderful recognition for Robert Bathurst.  Congratulations, Robert!!

February is nicely quiet.  Almost nothing in my agenda, except gum surgery.  Yes, I consider that a highlight worth mentioning. 

Most sensible people try to get away, even for a short while, from Quebec in February.  I stay here.  I love winter.  In December, January, February.  Even March.  But after that? 

Enough. 

It's fun for me to use a quote from The Tempest as the title for this book.  Not only is it apt, given the plot and themes, but it brings back memories of my high school days at Lawrence Park Collegiate (Go Panthers!). 

In my final year, Grade 13 at the time, I produced the school play.  It was, The Tempest.  What fun we had!  And so these lines resonate with me. 

And one in particular, given the over-arching theme of the Gamache books:

What's past is prologue.

I believe that.  And, not coincidentally, so does Armand.  And it is extremely evident, perhaps more than most of the books, in ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE.

Sending warm thoughts your way.  None of this would be any fun without your companionship.  Thank you.  Merci.

Louise
Xxoo

"Now I will believe that there are unicorns…."
The Tempest